Sunday, September 18, 2011

Buffalo Bills Game

First off, LETS GO BUFFALO!
   I was watching the Bills game this past sunday (Sep. 18th) and what a game it was.  Continual lead changes kept the game interesting instead of having one team wipe out another. 
   The reason I bring the bills game up in this blog is not only because I want to blog about something different but I found a realtionship to a topic I learned in my sociology class.  Football Sunday has become a "holiday" to many families across the nation.  Following the ten year anniversary of the terrorist attack on September 11th, football seems to have brought everyone together despite the sadness associated with that day.  Football sundays are an example of the sociological perspective of functionalism.  Functionalism is the theory that stresses the interdepence of the patterns of society and their interaction in maintaining social unity, culture and stability.  I found that football seems to connect the nation, no matter what team you are a fan of, everyone is connected through the competitive sport.  It is something that was recently jeopardized by the NFL lockout and many people were unsure if a season would even occur.  Thankfully, it has continued and hopefully will continue to keep unity within a society of many changes (economic, political, educational etc.).

No comments:

Post a Comment