Monday, September 26, 2011

Student Writers Vs. Experienced Writers

   I recently finished reading the article "Revision Strategies of Student Writers and Experienced Adult Writers" by Nancy Sommers.  This article discusses the differences in student writing and experienced adult writing processes.  Sommers conducted a case study in which she found that student writers are brought up learning on a linear writing model; which means "first...then...finally", and when they look to revise their pieces of writing they focus on changing the vocabulary within their piece.  On the other hand, Sommers found that experienced adult writers tend to revise as they move through a piece and to make sure that the meaning is conveyed thoroughly to the audience.
   I agree with the linear model of writing because I was raised learning this way but I disagree with Sommers findings on the differences between student writers and experienced adult writers revision processes.  Based on my own writing experiences I can testify that yes, many other students and myself look to change the words within our writings to make our vocabulary more diverse; but I feel that we also look for sentence structuring, conveying an overall meaning through our explanations and structure of the overall piece.  I find that this tends to be similar to the experienced adult writers.  I would like Sommers to look at her case study and realize that her study was not large enough, she only studied college students and adults in two colleges.  I find that this may be a reason for her findings because every college has different expectations for their students and faculty, therefore I wish Sommers had conducted a larger study before publishing this article.

No comments:

Post a Comment