Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Khan Academy

    I just finished reading the article on the Khan academy and I have mixed views on the topic.  I completely agree with the idea and find it an interesting way to learn.  I believe that it will help students to succeed on topics they may be struggling in a classroom where teachers cannot give the student one-on-one time.  This would be especially helpful in the large lecture halls of universities since the teacher and student do not have one-on-one time (like in previous educational systems).
    I chose to watch one of khan's videos to see for myself how his system works.  I chose to listen to a video on a topic I previously studied which is accounting.  This eleven minute video (in my mind) truly covered the concept of revenue, operating profit, gross profit and cost of goods sold.  Although it was not entirerly in depth I believe it was a good video for an accounting student to use as a review.
   The one negative opinion I have of Khan's videos is that the handwriting tended to be sloppy and sometimes the words would not appear due to his pen usage.  All together though I found the Khan Academy to be a good idea for students to use, but on top of their education in schools and universities (i.e. as a study tool).

No comments:

Post a Comment